Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Anthropologie Inspired Draperies Complete!


This weekend I finished the draperies for the bedroom!

Ever since I saw this shower curtain at Anthropologie, I knew I wanted something like it

via

via

$118 (shower curtain) $208-$268 (per drapery, depending on length) was more than I wanted to spend especially since I would need two so I decided to test my sew skills and make my own

This post and this post discuss the progression to get where I am today - I originally started out with a set of white california king sheets and dyed them "gray" when they turned out blue, I had to rethink what I was going to do ... Taking a few days, I decided to remake them after a visit to Target!

Thank goodness for Target! They have a lot of great products at affordable price points. I purchased 3 gray flat twin sheets (which was the width needed for the ruffles, less cutting and less hemming!!) 3 twin flat sheets gave me enough (with some left over for all of the ruffles for two 90" drapes), I also purchased 1 gray full flat sheet. I cut that in half for the back of the draperies and it was the exact length and width that I needed!!

Here is how I made them with minimal sewing:


I found a video on youtube explaining how to make ruffles, I highly recommend making as i described above - it saves time and can be adjusted before attached to the back sheet

The nice thing about making these draperies is that they dont require exact precision - the width of the panel can be adjusted based on how full you would like the ruffle - the length of the ruffle can be adjusted based on how much overlap is wanted

I decided not to sew the entire piece because:

1. a time saver
2. there was too much fabric on either side of the sewing machine, I had issues getting it through machine and sewing it properly
3. the test for the adhesive in the washing machine went well


I am including a before picture, because next to paint, I think that draperies can make a big impact on a room






Price breakdown:

Twin flat sheet: $11.99 x 3
Full flat sheet: $12.99

$48.96 / 2  = $24.48 per panel

Pretty good compared to $118 - $268!!

Over the weekend we wall mounted our tv in the bedroom - I originally wanted to build a stand for it, but after a trip to home depot and realizing that the wood alone would cost over $100, I decided to rethink -
Last week I found a table for $30 that I will be modifying to fit the space (but not enough to support the tv, hence the wall mount)

Check back for updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment