Thursday, January 23, 2014

Q A Gabbi Retro Ranch Reno

We found a place yesterday!! Its not perfect, but it will do for the next few months (were staying through April). Not going to lie ... I was getting scared because everything I found was furnished and "designed," picture green carpet and wallpaper or multi-colored walls. Yikes!

The place that were staying is unfurnished and pretty neutral. Its also unfinished now, so while we wait for them to finish installing the appliances etc. were staying in one that hasnt been updated. More details soon!  

Up next in my Q+A is the talented Gabbi from Retro Ranch Reno!

Gabbi is a girl after my own heart because she loves paint and stenciling - I love all her projects, but especially her mid-century modern pieces that shes refurbished recently! Gabbis amazing kitchen was featured in BHG Real Life Kitchens and Baths - oh my gosh - what a transformation! If you havent seen it, check it out!! Its amazing how tearing out a wall and using white can make a space feel SO much larger! love love love it!!

Heres a little more about Gabbi.




Anyone who knows me, knows I looove to eat.  Fall is an awesome time for food…warm and hearty meals, tons of yummy dips on football Sunday, and lots of delicious pumpkin flavored desserts.  Those desserts happen to be my favorite.  Whether it’s pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin whoopie pies, pumpkin cookies…I’m down for it all!  I recently came across these pumpkin brownies with brown sugar icing that I’m dying to try, along with this apple cider sangria. ;)


One of my favorite ways to freshen up a room is using fabric.  I like to change things up between seasons, and the easiest way for me to give a room a new look is to DIY new curtains, runners and pillow cases for the space.  You don’t need a ton of time or crazy sewing skills to complete any of these projects.  If I can do it, anyone can! :)


Thankfully, I haven’t had any major DIY fails to date {knock on wood}.  One of the biggest blunders I did make was on a recent furniture makeover.  After painting the entire piece, I decided the detail on the drawers needed to be taped off and painted gold to make them stand out and add a little something to the piece.  After taking all the time to prep, tape and paint, I quickly realized I made a huge mistake.  It just didn’t look right.  I was super bummed since I spent so much time on the piece and really didnt like the outcome.  I tried to live with it for a few days, but it just didnt grow on me.  So I grabbed my paint brush and primer, and started painting the drawer fronts again.

I learned a few things from that mishap.  Sometimes you need to give things a chance.  Sit with a change for a few days to get adjusted to it…but if it still doesnt feel right, don’t force it.  It’s okay to wave the white flag and admit something doesnt work.  I don’t want to have anything in my home that I don’t love…and putting in the extra work to tweak things until they are what you envisioned is definitely worth it in the end.


Ive completed quite a few projects in the two years Ive been blogging.  My top two have to be my hearth re-tile and my paint-dipped bedroom furniture.



I wish I could pick a single pattern I’m crushing on right now, but there are way too many fabulous ones to choose from!  Tribal, stripes, animal prints, geometrics, ikat, greek key, houndstooth, herringbone…I love them all!!

I’m currently trying to convince hubby that we need another bold stripe somewhere in our house.  I love our striped hall bathroom, but I’m craving something less tone-on-tone and more in-yo-face!



I love me some Emily Henderson!

--

LOVE both of Gabbis project choices, she had me at marble and hexagon - that fireplace looks SO good! Also, love the white with gold accents on her nightstands, that hardware is amazing! 


If youre new to Gabbis blog, make sure to check out her painted projects page, and upholstered projects page.

Thanks so much for sharing Gabbi!! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment